Int’l Travel

When planning a trip abroad, individuals sometimes carry information, technology, and equipment with them. However, faculty, staff, and students need to be aware of the impact of export controls regulations when traveling internationally.

Export controls regulations affect items you may take with you on an international trip, such as:

  • Laptops (both personal and UAMS property)
  • Encryption items
  • Data and technology
  • Blueprints, drawings, and schematics
  • Chemicals, biological materials, and scientific equipment
  • Supplying certain technologies or data at a “closed” conference or meeting (a meeting that is not open to all technically qualified members of the public and attendees are not permitted to take notes)
  • Restricted information (in print and electronic format or discussed verbally while abroad)
  • Travel to sanctioned or embargoed countries
  • Doing business with, or providing services to, certain people or entities (including human subjects and collaborative research)

You must ensure that any information you discuss or items that you carry are either not controlled or, if controlled, that you have proper licenses in place. A license may be required from the U.S. Departments of Commerce, State, or Treasury, depending on the items you are taking, the country to which you are traveling, and the individuals with whom you will interact.

Fortunately, most international travel does not raise any export control concerns. An exclusion or exception to the license requirement is usually available.

In order to assess any export control restrictions associated with your upcoming international trip, please answer the International Travel Checklist questions carefully, follow the instructions, and complete the applicable license exemption, if applicable. NOTE: Individuals can be held personally liable for exporting items, technical data, or software without a license or license exception.

International Travel Checklist

License Exemption (BAG)

License Exemption (TMP)